Our Privacy and Personal Information Policy for California Residents
If you are a California resident, you have certain privacy rights under California law, including the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA Rights"). This section describes those rights and how you can exercise them.
CCPA Rights Requests
Right to Know and Right to Deletion
You can request what personal information we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold in the preceding 12 months. You can also request that we delete your personal information. We may not delete all of your personal information if one of the following exceptions applies:
- Transactional: to complete a transaction for which the personal information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or perform a contract we have with you;
- Security: to detect data security incidents;
- Error Correction: to debug or repair any errors;
- Legal: to protect against fraud or illegal activity or to comply with applicable law or a legal obligation, or exercise rights under the law, such as the right to free speech; or
- Internal Use: to use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information (i.e. to improve our services).
Please note that if we delete your personal information, some of our services will not work the same. Some examples include, but are not limited to:
- Returns: We will not have the ability to look up your receipt or order in our system. In order to process a return or refund, we will require proof of purchase from the customer and if the customer is unable to provide proof of purchase, the transaction will be treated as an unreceipted return in accordance with our return policy.
- Customer Service: Our ability to handle customer service requests may be limited. We will not have the ability to look up prior orders or account information and may request proof of purchase in order to service your needs.
- Online Account & Shopping: Your online account will no longer exist. Your shopping cart items, order history, saved addresses, saved recipes and any other saved preferences in your online account will no longer be available.
- Recalls: We will no longer be able to contact you via email, regular mail, or phone about product recalls related to products you purchased, unless you provided your information to us by returning a product registration card attached to a durable infant product.
- Marketing Communications: We will no longer be able to provide you with any marketing communications directly, including personalized marketing communication such as information about new products, services and offers tailored to your interests.
- Opt Outs: Previous opt-out requests will not be saved.
You may submit a request to know or a request to delete, by doing one of the following:
- Call us at 1-844-572-4626;
- Email us at email@example.com, or
- Mail us at Rainbow Shops, Attention: Privacy Office, 1000 Pennsylvania Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11207.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Personal Information That We May Sell
Although we do not do so as of the date of this policy, we may in the future "sell" (as "sell" is defined in CCPA) the following categories of personal information:
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California and federal law;
- Internet/electronic activity;
- Commercial information; and
- Inferences drawn from the categories described above in order to create a profile about you to reflect your preferences, characteristics, preferences, behavior and attitudes.
We may "sell" your personal information to digital advertising networks. We do not knowingly sell the personal information of minors under the age of 16.
Right to Opt Out of Sale of Personal Information
California residents have the right to opt out of the sale of your personal information to third parties, as "sale" is defined under CCPA.
To submit a request to opt out of the sale of your personal information, please follow one or more of the steps (phone, email or postal mail) described above under "Right to Know and Right to Decision." In order to designate an authorized agent to act on your behalf you must provide the authorized agent with written permission to do so, and your authorized agent must submit that written proof at the time they make the request on your behalf.
We participate in digital advertising networks to deliver advertising that is tailored to your interests. The participation in certain ad networks can constitute a "sale" of personal information under CCPA. In order to opt out of this activity, please visit optout.aboutads.info and optout.networkadvertising.org.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA Rights and we will not deny you goods or services, charge you a different price, or provide you with a lesser quality of goods or services if you exercise any of your CCPA Rights.
California Shine the Light Law
If you are a California resident, you also have the right to ask us one time each year if we have shared personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please submit an inquiry to the following address: Rainbow Shops, Attention: Privacy Office, 1000 Pennsylvania Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11207, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your request, please specify that you want a "California Shine the Light Notice," and please include your name, mailing address, and your email address. Please allow up to thirty days from receipt of your request for a response.
Collecting Information About You
Categories and Types of Personal Information We Collect
We collect the following categories and types of personal information:
- Contact Information: your first and last name, mailing address, email address, and phone number, including mobile (cell) number;
- Other identifying information: IP address, passwords and other security information for authentication and access, social media user names, and cookie identifiers;
- Financial Information: credit card, debit card and bank account information you have used in a transaction with us;
- Demographic information: we may collect gender, age, and purchase behavior;
- Geolocation data;
- Internet or other electronic activity: your browsing and click history, including information about how you navigate within our services and which elements of our services you use the most;
- Commercial information: products purchased or viewed on our website;
- Audio and visual information: video images in our stores from security cameras; and
- Inferences drawn from the categories described above in order to create a profile about you to reflect your buying preferences, characteristics, behavior and attitude.
Categories of Use
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Transactional Purposes: We use your contact information, financial information, and commercial information to:
- Receive, process, confirm, send and track orders you have placed with us; and
- Communicate with you about your order.
- Analytical Purposes: We use your other identifying information, internet activity and browsing history, commercial information, demographic information, and geolocation data to analyze preferences, trends and statistics.
- Marketing and Promotional Purposes: We may use your contact information, commercial information, demographic information, internet or other electronic activity, geolocation data, and inferences to:
- Inform you of our new products, services and offers;
- Provide you with and measure and optimize targeted advertising;
- Run contests or promotions; and,
- Provide you with other information from and about Rainbow, including personalized marketing communications.
- Maintenance and Improvement of Services and Website: We may use your contact information, commercial information, and internet activity and browsing history to:
- Provide and maintain functionality on our website, including possible live chat or customer review features;
- Handle your customer services requests; and
- Help us diagnose technical and service problems and administer our stores, websites and apps.
- Review and Content Creation Purposes: We use your contact information, commercial information, and audio and visual information to enable reviews of our products and to display content that you have created and allowed us to display on our website and services and on social media and other advertising.
- Security and Fraud Prevention: We use your contact information, other identifying information, commercial information, financial information, geolocation data, internet activity and browsing history, and inferences, to protect this website, our company, and others and to prevent fraud, theft and misconduct.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect information from the following sources:
We collect information directly from you. We collect contact and demographic information directly from you. We also collect payment information from you.
We collect information from you passively. We collect Internet or other electronic activity passively using tools like browser cookies. For more on this type of activity, including a further explanation of "cookies", please see the "Cookies" and "Online Tracking" sections below.
We may combine information you give us online and in our stores. We also may combine that information with publicly available information and information we receive from or cross-reference with third parties. We use that combined information to enhance and personalize your shopping experience with us, to communicate with you directly about our products and events that may be of interest to you, and for other commercial purposes.
When We Share Information with Third Parties
Our Service Providers
We may contract with companies or persons to provide certain services including credit card processing, shipping, data analysis and management, and promotional services. We call these third parties our Service Providers. We furnish our Service Providers with the information needed for them to perform these services. We also ask our Service Providers to confirm that their privacy practices are consistent with ours.
We may share personal information with businesses controlling, controlled by, or under common control with Rainbow. While most of our stores operate under the Rainbow name, we also operate stores under the Marianne, 5-7-9, Dots and Joyce Leslie names.
Law Enforcement and Courts
In certain instances we may disclose your contact information when we have reason to believe that it is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action. We may disclose your personal information when we believe the law or legal process requires it.
If you would like to opt out of accepting cookies altogether, you can generally set your browser to not accept cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it. However, certain features of our web sites or other services may not work if you delete or disable cookies. We use Google Analytics on our web sites to collect usage data, to analyze how users use the web sites and to provide advertisements to you on other websites. For more information about how to opt out of having your information used by Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Opting Out Of Marketing/Updating Information About You
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. If you prefer not to receive direct marketing from us, or if you would like to opt out of any potential rental or exchange of your information with other marketers, please let us know. You can
- call us at 1-844-572-4626, or
- email us at email@example.com, or
- mail us at Rainbow Shops, Attention: Privacy Office, 1000 Pennsylvania Avenue, Brooklyn. NY 11207.
Please be sure to include your full name, email address, mailing address, and specifically what information you do not want to receive. If you would like to update or correct your email address, mailing address or other contact information with us please contact us the same way. If you like, you may use one of the following statements in your message to us:
- I prefer not to receive email advertisements, such as updates regarding products and services, promotions or upcoming events.
- I prefer not to receive direct mail advertisements, such as mailings regarding products and services, promotions or upcoming events.
- I prefer not to have my contact information provided to third parties for their marketing purposes.
You may also click the designated link at the bottom of any email advertisements (or marketing text messages if you have subscribed to receive mobile text messages) to be removed from future updates.
Please note that any requests to remove or update your contact information may take up to five business days for your email request, and six to eight weeks from the date we receive your request if mailed, to be processed.
We may need to contact you via phone, email or mail to address questions or issues specific to your order, entry, etc., even if you have opted to not receive marketing communications from us. We contact you only in ways compatible with your communications choices. To the extent necessary for such purposes, we take reasonable steps to make sure that your contact information is accurate, complete, current, and otherwise reliable.
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the confidentiality and security of information transmitted to us. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your contact information, to the extent permitted by law, we do not guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from our web sites, and you do so at your own risk.
We urge you to keep any password that you establish with us in a safe place and not to divulge it to anyone. We also encourage you to use a unique or different password for our websites. Also remember to log off your account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit. This is to ensure that others cannot access your account, especially if you are sharing a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that any of your children has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us and we will take steps to remove that information from our servers.
Links to Third Party Web Sites
Effective Date: 1/1/2020